Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My First MAPS Meeting

I held my first MAPS meeting on October 18, 2006. Prior to the meeting, I met with the student and asked him a series of questions. I sent a similar set of questions home to his mother and a community support person who works with the student. I also answered a set of the questions. When we came together at the meeting, each person had a set of questions and answers about our student. We went around the table answering questions and discussing the student. Based on knowledge of the student, and the length of time each individual knew the student, responses were given first by the student, then the parent, then the service provider, and finally me. I learned many new things about the student that I never would have learned using the traditional approach to IEP meetings. Preparing this student for the future and ensuring we were addressing his future needs was the focus of the entire meeting. As the student, parent and service provider left the meeting, all involved stated that they planned to work on the goals across settings. They left with smiles on their faces as they said, "It was a really good meeting. Thank you."