Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Second Try at MAPS

For my second MAPS meeting, the parent told me she could not participate in the meeting itself, no matter when the meeting was held due to health concerns. I sent home the questions, she filled them out, and she returned them to me. The student and I then met and discussed the questions, as well as his and mom's responses. The information was compiled and used in planning the IEP.

Without the mother being present for the discussion, not as much information was obtained as in my previous MAPS session. However, I did receive information about the mother's hopes and dreams, as well as her future plans for her son. This type of information has not been available in the past if a parent did not attend the meeting. The process still allowed for input, even when an individual can not be physically present.