Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Why I Needed to Change

On October 17, 2006, I was asking a student questions from a student MAPS worksheet. There were two other students in the classroom, and they asked me what we were doing. I told them we were getting ready for the student's IEP meeting. The other students told me that they do not like IEP meetings. One comment from a student was, "I do not like to feel like I am getting yelled at." The other student chimed in, "Yeah, it feel like we are in trouble." The first student said, "I also do not like hearing I read at a third grade level. I know I have trouble reading. I do not need to hear that it is third grade." I told the students that I was doing IEP meetings a little bit differently. This discussion put words to the general feeling I had regarding IEP meetings in the past. Students did not feel involved in the process, and it was not a positive process for them. Parents also frequently were not active members in the process. I wanted more involvement from all team members, with an increased focus on transition and student need based future planning.